Teen Patti, also known as Flush or Flash, is an Indian poker game. It is similar to the English three-card shovel game.
Teen Patti is considered a poker variant. But it’s different from the poker games you might be used to, like Texas Hold ’em.
That’s why we created this guide. We want to help you understand the rules for Teen Patti and what makes it unique, including all the features, variations, and strategy. We also want to show you where you can play Teen Patti for real money online.
If that sounds good to you, let’s start learning how to play Teen Patti.
Instructions to Teen Patti
It’s easiest to learn how to play casino games if you have an idea of what a round looks like and what your goal is.
Let’s start with that.
This is what a round of Teen Patti looks like from start to finish.
- A hand begins when each player places an ante bet.
- The cards are dealt.
- The betting rounds begin with the player to the dealer’s left. Any player can bet, raise, or fold the ante amount (pack).
- Betting continues until only one or two players are left in the round. If only one person is left, they automatically win the round.
- If there are two players left, one must request a side show. A side show is like a showdown in poker games such as Texas Hold’em and Omaha. The other players turn their hands over to determine who has the best hand.
- The dealer decides who the winner is and pays it out.
- The hand is now over.
Here’s the goal of Teen Patti:
Your goal is to have the best hand at the side show.
Or maybe you want to be the last player standing after everyone else has folded during the betting round.
That’s how you win at Teen Patti.
Simple, right? These Teen Patti Rules are just like any other poker game. As with other poker games, there is more to this card game than meets the eye.
To really understand the rules of playing Teen Pattie, you need to know its features.
Playing blind or seeing
One of the features that makes Teen Patti such a unique poker game is that players can choose to play blind or face. This means they can decide whether they want to see their cards or not.
All cards are dealt face down. After that, each player gets to decide how he wants to proceed.
If they choose to continue without seeing their cards, they play blind. When they choose to see their cards, it is known as “sight playing.”
When playing Teen Patti for real money, there are different betting rules for each type of player.
- Blind players can choose to fold, bet, or show.
- When the blind player chooses to bet, he can bet either the current bet amount or twice the current bet amount.
- The only time a blind player can request a show is when there are only two players left in the round.
- Given time, players can choose to pack, chaal (call or raise), or request a side show.
- The chaal amount for players seen is two or four times the current bet amount.
- If a player requests a side show, he asks if she can go up against the player who bets right in front of him. That player must also be seen.
You must remember these rules to play Teen Patti live. However, most dealers will help you if you have any questions.
When you play Teen Patti for real money online, the casino will apply the appropriate wagering amounts for you. Also, the show button will only appear if that option is available based on the number of players seen and blind.
Playing Teen Patti online is easier than playing in person because you don’t have to remember how the rules change if you want to play blind or face.
Teen Patti’s Betting Guidelines
The betting rules in Teen Patti are not the same as the betting rules for other poker games, especially when you want to call.
If another player raises, you must wager the same amount to stay in the game. The current bet amount changes when a player raises.
All other players should then bet the new bet amount. Under Teen Patti’s rules, the amount you previously wagered does not count towards the amount raised.
Here’s an example where a betting round in Teen Patti is compared to Texas Hold’em.
It is crucial to understand that each player must wager the current bet amount regardless of their previous bets.
Because of these Teen Patti betting rules, it may be in your best interest to raise your stakes for other players. That way you don’t have to increase your bet again. But we’ll talk more about the Teen Patti strategy later.
Keep in mind that the amount you can raise depends on whether you are playing blind or seen. Blind players can only raise by doubling the bet amount. Considering players can raise up to 4x the bet.
You can play Teen Patti with different poker betting formats, such as fixed-limit, no-limit, or pot-limit formats.
Most novice players start out with pot-limit bets on Teen Patti card games.
Sideshows in Teen Pattic
One of the betting options in Teen Patti is to request a show. There are two different types of shows in Teen Patti.
- A side show is between two seen players.
- A blind player can request a blind show.
A show is a mutual competition or showdown. Two players expose their cards and the player with the worst hand at the end of the show must take.
To request a show, a player must pay twice the current bet amount. The other player may choose whether to accept or decline the show.
These are the Teen Patti rules that apply to shows.
- Blind players can only request a show if they are one of the two remaining players. It doesn’t matter if the other player is seen or blind.
- Given players can request a show at any time, as long as there are at least three players left. But they can only request a show from other players and only from the player who just bet before them.
- During sideshows between two seen players, the losing player must pack at the end of the show.
- If both players’ hands are tied, the player who did not ask for the show wins the pot.
Shows are a unique feature that makes the Teen Patti card game more exciting. They are only possible because of the blind/seen player structure.
Teen Patti’s Hand Rankings
The hand rankings for Teen Patti are like most other three card poker games, with a few exceptions.
Here are the hand rankings from best to worst so you know which hands win in Teen Patti.
- Trio/Three-of-a-kind – Three cards of the same rank. If two players have a trio, the highest trio is the winner.
- Pure/Straight Sequence – This hand is like a straight flush, except it’s only three cards. You need three cards of the same suit with consecutive numbers. Ace-King-Queen is the highest straight run, but ace-two-three is the second highest.
- Normal Order: Sometimes called a straight or a run. three consecutive cards that are not of the same suit.
- This hand is the same as a flush; three cards of the same suit in any order.
- Pair – Two cards of the same rank. If two players have the same pair, the player with the highest third card (known as a “kicker” in regular poker games) wins.
- High Card – Aces are high. If you’re going up against the dealer, the dealer must have at least a queen high to qualify.
If you are familiar with traditional poker hand rankings, it should be easy to memorise the hand rankings for Teen Patti.
Here’s a visual aid to help.
Hand Rankings for Teen Patti.
Teen Patti’s Terminology
Teen Patti originated in India and the games use terminology that people from outside the country may not know.
Some translations of these Indian words are similar to those used in other poker games. But some of these words are used differently, so things can get confusing quickly.
Here are a few essential words commonly used in Teen Patti card games.
- Pack—another word for folding.
- Boot/Boot Amount: Another name for the ante or mandatory wager required to play the game.
- Color is another word for flush.
- Sequence/Run-Another word for straight.
- Blind: Players who choose to play without looking at their cards play blind. Do not confuse this word with “big blinds” or “small blinds” in other poker games.
- Side Pot – Another word for a side show between two seen players.
- Chaal: similar to calling a bet, but the amount of the chaal depends on the specific betting rules for seen and blind players.
- Teen Patti: The name of the game translates to “Three Cards,” which is why some people call it “Three Teen Patti” as well.
The terminology can be the most confusing part of learning how to play Teen Patti for beginners. This is especially true if you are playing other forms of poker that use the same terms, but in a different way.
However, once you get the hang of the different terminology, the rules of the game for Teen Patti will be much easier to understand.
Online Teen Patti at Casino Sites
Playing Teen Patti at online casinos is different from playing live.
The basic structure of the game is the same, but there are a number of different formats and differences within these formats that you should be aware of.
Teen Patti, a live dealer
One option is to play Teen Patti with a live dealer.
In this format, an infinite number of players can participate, but each player competes against the dealer.
The dealer deals the player’s hand face up and the dealer’s hand face down.
After you’ve seen the cards, you can decide whether you want to continue playing or fold.
- If you want to continue playing, you must place another bet equal to your ante bet.
- If you fold, you will lose your ante bet, but you can still qualify for any side bets you may have placed.
Live dealer Teen Patti lasts only one round of betting. After the players have decided whether to fold or continue playing, the dealer shows their hand. Then the computer will make payouts.
Since you’re playing against the dealer and the player’s hand is automatically seen, you can’t play a show like you could if you were playing a regular Teen Patti game.
There are not many live Teen Patti games yet. Ezugi launched the first one in November 2019. But we think more software vendors will follow suit in the future.
Check out the best live dealer casinos if you want to play Teen Patti live online for real money.
Digital Teen Patti
Another option is to play a digital game of Teen Patti. Digital online casino games use RNG (random number generator) software to deal the cards.
Some digital Teen Patti card games allow you to compete with other players, but the other players are automated.
All their betting choices and actions are determined by a computer algorithm. It’s not quite the same as competing against other players.
There are several brands of digital Teen Patti software. This includes 3 Teen Patti apps that you can play on your phone for free.
Depending on the software you use, some of Teen Patti’s digital card games may require you to decide whether to play blind/seen before you start playing.
Unlike the live dealer version, shows are still a valid betting option when you play a Teen Patti digital game. You also have the option to go through several betting rounds.
You can play Teen Patti online for real money at casinos like Bovada and Ignition .
You may also want to check out our list of top-rated casino sites . Many of them may also have online Teen Patti games for money.
Teen Patti . for multiple players
The game format that offers the best of both worlds is Teen Patti Multiplayer. These games use the same RNG software as digital games, but multiple live players can participate.
All cards are dealt face down. If a player chooses to be a seen player, his cards will be displayed on his screen but will remain hidden from the other players.
Because you can compete against other players, the multiplayer format is the one that most closely resembles the personal Teen Patti.
There are different betting rounds. You can request shows and each player will have the chance to accept or decline them – just like a regular Teen Patti card game.
Ultimately, each of these online Teen Patti formats offers something unique. Here’s a chart that summarizes the differences between each of them to help you find the best format for you.
You can try each format to determine which one you like best. Most likely, you will find yourself loving each format for a variety of reasons.
There’s no reason to limit yourself to one form of Teen Patti when they each offer something unique.
Teen Patti Variations and Side Bets
Now that you understand the rules for Teen Patti and where to play Teen Patti online, you are ready to learn about the different variations available.
Here are a few Teen Patti variations we recommend.
- Royal Teen Patti – This variation is played with only face cards and tens. Since there are only twenty cards in the deck, only six people can play.
- Joker Teen Patti – Each player is dealt only two cards and a joker. The joker can be used as a limited joker to make the best hand.
- AK47 – In this Teen Patti variation, Aces, Kings, Fours and Sevens are all wild.
- Best of Four – Each player is dealt four cards which they use to make the best possible three-card hand.
- Lowball Teen Patti – In this poker variation, the lowest ranked poker hand wins. It is also known as Muflis Teen Patti.
- Low Wild/High Wild – Any player can use their lowest card as a wild or highest card, depending on which variant you are playing.
- Wild Draw – After all cards have been dealt, the dealer draws one card at random from the rest of the deck. All cards of the same rank are wild.
- Bust Card Draw – This variation of Teen Patti is almost the same as Wild Draw. The dealer randomly draws a card after dealing. However, the card they draw is labeled a bust card, meaning each player must pass with that card.
- Cobra Teen Patti – This variation is usually used for the very last hand of the game. Each player is dealt only one card, which they place on their forehead. All players can see each other’s cards, but they cannot see their own. Everyone plays blind.
- Teen Patti Rapid – When you play Teen Patti online, you may encounter fast-paced games where you are not playing against other players. You can earn payouts based on the three card poker hands you can make, but the only bet you place is your ante bet.
These are just some of our favorite Teen Patti variations.
Once you’ve learned the basic rules of playing Teen Patti, you can check out these and other variations to see which one you like the most.
Teen Patti Side Bets
There are two side bets that are common to Teen Patti card games, both in online casinos and in land-based games.
- Pairs – The pair’s side bet offers additional payouts when the player’s hand has a poker hand of a pair or better.
- 3+3 – This gives you the chance to make the best five card hand possible with your cards and the dealers.
Playing side bets is a fun way to add some variety to your Teen Patti games, even if you’re only playing the standard version.
Strategy for Teen Patti Games
There is no way to guarantee a win when you play Teen Patti because the outcome is random . It depends on the cards you get.
However, here are a few Teen Patti strategy tips that can help you maximize your chances.
- Never fold if you have a queen or higher against the dealer. The dealer needs a queen or higher to qualify. With this tip you push more hands and save more bets.
- Keep your bets low when you play blind.
- Ask for sideshows if you think your opponent is bluffing.
- Playing scale means betting on the current bet amount without raising. That’s a good strategy if you have a mediocre hand. Other players are more likely to fold after you’ve been consistent for a few betting rounds.
- Another strategy for Teen Patti is to increase your bets slowly if you have a good hand. If you immediately raise the maximum amount, the other players will know that you have a good hand and will fold.
- Remember you have to adjust the current bet amount when another player raises. In some cases, it’s a good idea to raise early so you don’t have to raise twice.
- Only when you know you have the weakest hand. Even then, it’s a good idea to bet one or two rounds so that your opponents don’t pick up on your betting habits.
You also need to consider hand probabilities.
You only have a 0.24% chance of getting three-of-a-kind, compared to a 74.39% chance of getting a card with only a high card.
Remember that the odds are the same for all your opponents.
Teen Patti Hand Probabilities
- Three of a Kind – 0.24%
- Straight Flush – 0.22%
- Direct – 3.26%
- Color – 4.96%
- Pair – 16.94%
- High card – 74.39%
Teen Patti is a form of poker, meaning it has both skill and chance.
Many of the skills come into play when you compete against other players. They will review your betting choices and you can do the same to give yourself the best chances of winning.
No matter what format or version you play, the best Teen Pattie strategies revolve around minimizing your losses rather than trying to win every hand.
A push is better than a loss, and a smaller pot is better than a lost pot. If you keep these strategies for Teen Patti in mind, you may be able to extend your bankroll for another round.
Play Teen Patti . now
Now you know how to play Teen Patti and where to try it.
We recommend that you play Teen Patti online as you can play at your own pace. You can use this page to re-read Teen Patti’s rules of play if you get stuck.
Chances are you’ll only need a few hands to master the basics.
Now you can find many online casinos with Teen Patti and other popular Indian games like Andar Bahar . But these games aren’t as popular as blackjack or craps, so you won’t find them everywhere.
If your favorite casino doesn’t have them, you can try three card poker instead . It is a similar game that is more common and easier to find at online casinos.
If you can’t play Teen Patti games online, you can always host your own game at home. It is a fun game that combines elements from both poker and casino table games.
Try it. We think you’ll agree.